Thursday, December 31, 2009

Piano Tuning Fees: How Much Do You Charge?

That's probably the most frequent question I get asked. Am I being asked about tuning, technical work, voicing, cleaning, appraising, refurbishing, rebuilding, partial rebuilding or other types of piano work?

When you call a dentist, if you were to ask: "How much do you charge?", the receptionist might well ask if you are having your teeth cleaned, if you have any pain in your mouth, cavities that need work, root canals that are failing, denture work, etc.

Before giving out any fee information, I need to know where the customer lives (they might be too far away and another technician may be much closer), what the make of the piano is and when it was last tuned.

For fine tuning, my fee is $140 GST included. That price is for Vancouver, Richmond and North and West Vancouver. For outlying areas, the charge is more.

For pitch raising or lowering (above or below 10 cents. The spacing between each note is 100 cents), my fee is $30.00 (GST included) extra.

Some customers have gone a step further in supplying me with information by taking photos of their piano playing mechanisms (as well as photos of the entire piano) with cell phones. Even more high tech customers have recorded the pitch of all notes from the bass to the high treble.

The more information I have, the more prepared I am to supply the customer with my fee structure.

http://www.paulbrown.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.